Friday, March 4, 2011

el-dee, el-dee, a wonderful town...

so I'm sitting in a hotel room in Eldoret, trying to dump pictures onto my computer, and my heart is POUNDING: a huge huge cockroach crawled out of my suitcase and into- INTO, YOU GUYS- the bedspread of the bed next to mine.

freaking. a.

undoubtedly it traveled with us from Mbita, and. I mean. what if it, like, got into the clothes I put onto tomorrow? or something. EW EW EW EW EW.

okay. I'm sorry. I really do try to suck it up about bugs here but the thing is two inches long and NASTY. and crawled into the bedspread. what if- WHAT IF IT GOT ON YOU WHILE YOU WERE SLEEPING.

ahem. anyway. the point is, I am spending the night in Eldoret (and tomorrow I get to see my friend Gladys!) and heading back to Nairobi tomorrow. it's weird to think that 48 hours from now, Lord willing, I'll be waiting at the airport for my flight home. and here I am blogging from a hotel room on the other side of the country. and it's further weird that earlier today I was in a village in the middle of the Kenyan bush.

life happens faster here than the internet allows. I have lots of stories to tell (a few are even NOT about bugs), and over 1000 pictures taken since Monday. I'll try to get a few more posts in before I leave on Sunday- and maybe I'll catch up again when I get back to the US.

in the meantime I just wanted the internets to know that a) I'm alive and b) THAT COCKROACH IS REALLY HUGE. I MEAN REALLY.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I threw up in my mouth a little.

Ede said...

OMG your are sooo brave. I would be so freaking out!!!

Angie said...

I'm not looking forward to the bugs... Or the dirt... I kind of like green, wet, Portland. Where my theory is "spiders outside live, spiders inside die."

Unknown said...

God Bless your heart my dear cousin. I do hope and pray that one day I will be there to serv you, the lord and our African family.

Your cousin
Anne

Glen said...

ok,if I'm ever to come over there, and I do want to--I'm going to have to quit reading your blogs, OR, perhaps you could give me some kind of "spoiler" type alert on the bug thing. "mamacita, walk away from the computer now" (MWAFTCN will do)....