Thursday, May 29, 2008

Holy glory, this internet connection is slooooooooooooow...

I know you're all on the very edge of your seats, waiting for news about my lawyer. So I'll tell you.

I found my way to downtown Nairobi BY MYSELF (a feat not beccause Nairobi is that bad, but because I have absolutely no sense of direction), and met my friend Roy. We had lunch (chicken pot pies and LATTES!, of course) and then went to meet with the lawyer that came highly recommended from a friend of his.

Our lawyer, Frank, is really cool. He seems really nice and intelligent and serious about helping me. I dunno- I am generally trusting of, like, everyone, so who knows. But I liked the way he talked. He seemed genuinely interested in helping us.

We'll see. Anyway, he's going to get back to me in the next few days with some information about what he advises and what it will cost us. If we hire him, he's in it for the long haul- registering us as an NGO, helping us negotiate and pay for land, helping us with permits, etc etc.

Keep praying please!

I miss you all and hope you're doing well. Send me some emails or texts, for heaven's sake!

16 comments:

Stephanie said...

oh. I think I've been doing my fair share of emails and texts. Anywho. I'm glad Frank seems nice. Also. What's up with all the lattes? Are they really that common?

Angie said...

I tried text. It doesn't seem to work on my phone. :O) Miss you!
Praying, praying!

Meredith and Noah Ramey said...

The boys and I will pray tonight before bed. And I am praying whenever I think of you! Let us know how the lawyer situation turns out.

Luke of Hazard said...

Good. Keep hounding his ass like you've never hounded before, you're couming back tou the states soon. I've heard this next few days thing befoure, and you doun't have time tou believe it. But alsou keep enjoying the time with your friends, I am praying four you.

cdrthethird said...

Good to hear. Be sure to go over the long list of questions from Dave and let us know how it goes. Feel free to be a bit pushy since you do have a real sense of urgency.
How are things over there in general? Is the new gov't doing anything of significance? Do you see more or fewer street kids? Let us know what it's like there now.
Love you; be safe; God Bless... -Dad

Ashby said...

no. lattes are not at all common. there's an american coffee shop in the center of downtown so whenever i go there (like to meet with my lawyer, for example) i drag whoever's with me to get one.

and no. i haven't really seen any street kids. i think more of them are in school now that it's free, and i think the police keep them out of the city. this doesn't necessarily mean things are better, though!

thanks for your prayers, everyone! i really appreciate it. and thanks dad and luke for the reminder that i need to get stuff done. cuz i wasn't aware. : )

Unknown said...

Andrew prayed the other night that you don't get the disease they have in Africa, that causes so many kids to not have parents.

Carly Cross said...

i thought you might be interested in what you've been missing out on in the states.

gas is currently $4.06
(at least in eugene)

the youngest hanson brother (the one that looks most like a girl) is now a father.

the new indian jones movie is really lame, but still entertaining. mostly because shia labouf is so attractive.

angelina jolie is due to deliver her twins any day now.


that's all for now. don't worry, i'll keep you updated on angelina and her five billions babies (i wonder if she knows that they grow up and turn into adults?)

love you!
p.s. make sure you're working over there in africa!

Linger said...

Um, excuse me, but the Indiana Jones movie rocked!

Go Ash: Lawyer Wrangler!

Ashby said...

be careful driving in the rain, sisto!

kat and luke said...

ashby darling.

i'm praying for you and this lawyer. thanks for updating so much! it gives me a great way to procrastinate on that 20 page paper for my history class.

kat :)

Luke of Hazard said...

so did you get all your info emailed yesterday?

Brian said...

Since your sister brought you up to date with all that is important I don't have much to say.

Love you and praying for you!

Unknown said...

I just wanted to stop in and say that I miss the crap out of you.

Praying for ya!

mere said...

I fell asleep in the Indiana Jones movie. But then, old people do that.

rachel said...

hahahahahaha