Monday, June 2, 2008

things i know to be true:

~Nairobi has changed and yet is still the same. still crowded, noisy, pushy and dirty. but the street kids are gone, the police are ever-present, the traffic is worse, the litter is better, and the fruit vendors aren't allowed to sell at the bus station anymore.

~I'm told that the average 'day laborer' (entry level jobs, or people who make minimum wage) make 250/= a day. that's just over $4.

~ a loaf of bread costs 38/=, or about .65 cents. a bus ticket in Nairobi costs about 75 cents. and a gallon of gas is $5.79.

~in other words, inflation is on the move, and the minimum wage is not a living wage.

~Madaraka Day really doesn't mean much except that school is out.

~since coming here I have finished the following books: Dreams from my Father, The Catcher in the Rye, The Long Loneliness, and Three Cups of Tea. I liked them all.

~I have to do laundry and I don't want to.

~I am going with Susan and some of her friends from church to visit (and probably preach at and sing to) the prisoners in Nairobi Langata Prison on Wednesday. this should be interesting.

~my friend Roy (a Kenyan here in Nairobi) is getting married on the 21st. this, too, should be interesting.

~Nairobi's latest trend in music, a horrid mix of disco, r&b and rap love songs, makes me want to stick forks in my eyes. rusty ones. I'm just saying.

~I really miss goldfish crackers and skittles.

~and Ella.

~a friend of mine just put me in a really bad mood. I sort of feel like screaming, even.

10 comments:

rachel said...

Nobody can put you in a mood ashby. You are responsible for your own attitudes and actions.

(i thought you may be missing my lectures)

Anywho... that music sounds fantastic!

And did you hear that we let you choose the book club selection from across the world. I got my copy of catcher in the rye yesterday.

love you!

Angie said...

We miss you, Ashby. Adaya misses you. She is dreaming right now. Are you? Two of her front top teeth finally broke through last week and she should have three uppers before she wakes in the morning. She's going to grow like a whole inch while you're gone. So is Josiah. I need to post of picture of them on my blog so you don't forget what they look like.

Jenn Sanders said...

Good to hear from you dear friend. I enjoy this blog and hearing, reading, how you are doing.
We are barely making it along without you :-).
It's raining here again - of course! We'll have summer one day.

Loves! Jenn

Luke of Hazard said...

No wourd from the lawyre?

Ashby said...

actually, LUKE, i thought about forwarding you the email from him just to keep you satisfied. so there.

Unknown said...

Hey you...this is my first day visiting THE BLOG. Sounds like things are good and hard sometimes and everything in between. Can I really text you without it costing like, $2 per text?

Love you girl. We'll be praying for you and all the things that need to happen over there.

Rica

Colleen said...

yeah, ashby I have to agree... a few texts to you and I'd be spending more than the locals get paid for a whole day there! I'd feel kinda guilty. But I AM thinking about you and praying for you. Its cool that you're blogging while you're over there. I hope you have a fantastic week doll!
Also, since you forgot your camera does that mean there will be no pictures to see when you come back, or ??? :(

Ashby said...

no way colleen, i have my dad's digital camera.

and my sister and steph told me it doesn't cost them anything extra to text me, so i don't know...

Stephanie said...

AND! I keep thinking of things... but you must tell how the prison visit went.

Angie said...

How come you haven't posted any pics?

And the Dr thinks my nasty bunged up leg is infected now. Fun. :O)