Wednesday, June 18, 2008

new beginnings cereals shop.

(that's probably my favourite name of any store here so far).

I guess it's been a while since I've given a real live update on my work here, so here goes...


I have a new lawyer, a good one, named Frank. He is working to register us as a trust, which is a much faster and easier process than a non profit. We have trustees: three of my Kenyan friends (including Susan), my dad and myself.

I am meeting with Esther, the owner of the land we seek to buy, on Friday. We need the title papers from her to show our lawyer, so he can confirm that the land is really truly buyable.

I have met with the cost consultant (who is advising us on everything from well-digging to construction working to road-paving). He is the one who recommended a construction manager, who is going to supervise our building plans (Angie) to make sure they're Kenyan-proof.

This is a bit of the chicken-and-egg scenario, because the cost consultant wants to visit the land site, which he can't really do until we convince Esther that we really are buying the land, and we can't really convince her we're buying the land until we finish registration, and that's just a waiting game, but while we wait, our lawyer AND the cost consultant want the title papers, and Esther doesn't really want to give those up until we're serious about buying, and we can't convince her we're buying until we're registered...okay so it's not so much chicken-and-egg as it is the old classic 'I don't want to have to wait until we're registered to get working on all this other stuff' routine.

You know. The usual.

Anywho. What else? I've bought some awesome things for the auction. And I'm not quite sure how I'm going to fit everything into my suitcase. And...yeah, that's about it. I don't know what else to tell you guys.

Please pray that things fall into place! We can of course continue to work on everything once I'm back in the States (we'll have to, obviously) but I worry that things will move more slowly than they already are, once I'm gone. Out of sight, out of mind, as it were...


Peace, people. And for those who are keeping track, I'll be home next Thursday, around noonish.

11 comments:

Brian said...

Thanks for the update. We look forward to seeing you back.

Dave Ketah said...

Cya soon!

Linger said...

Hey Ash!

Hope the chickens and eggs can come together ... or you know ... something like that. "The usual."

Can't wait for the Face-to-Face update!

Peace.

Angie said...

Got your email (twice). Um, sure, I have all the time in the world. HaHa! Seriously, I guess we can sit down and talk out details when you get back. I may need some serious sitter help to get things done...

Angie said...

Or... Would it be more effective to have your contractor work on it while you're there? Not that he'd get much done while you were there for one more week. Then out of site...

I guess it comes down to what works best for you. Sections...your contractor may need to do those up since I don't know exactly how they construct things in Kenya.

cdrthethird said...

Hi Ash, sounds good!
We're praying for you and we're excited to see God's hand in this.
Be well and travel safe.
Love, Dad

Stephanie said...

oh. so I got the wireless bill today. and it sure does cost extra to text you. so that's going to have to be reduced drastically. and yeah. the website sure didn't tell me that when I checked. sad day.

Kristin said...

Hi world. I miss you. Sometimes it takes me a million years to find people's blogs. I'm really happy about Frank though. Um...have some cherry life savers?

rachel said...

STEPHANIE ELEANOR BROCKETT!!!!!!

Ashby said...

um. steph. i sort of told rachel, among others, that it was free/no extra cost to text me...

how much is it?

Stephanie said...

i think it was something like $0.25 per text. however. I must say I'm not responsible for anyone else. and. I sure checked after I had sent you a few and there were no additional charges. so.

finally. my middle name is not eleanor.