Saturday, August 23, 2008

last night i had my nails painted hot pink.

...as in Barbie-doll, bubble gum pink.


More importantly:

I really, really truly really REALLY think we're getting somewhere in this land buying process. And on that note: yes, everyone says they have at least this much trouble trying to buy land, and yes, I have people helping me, and no, I am not discouraged.

But I am afraid I'm starting to sound a bit girl-who-cried-wolf-ish. It's not that we're not serious about buying land. It's that Kenya is insane. And even with a broker and a lawyer on your side, you can still run into dead ends. And being white and a girl, few people take me seriously and MANY people try to take advantage of me.

But, so: We found 10 acres of beautiful, flat, tree-filled land. It is of COURSE a bit more expensive than we'd like- but still within our budget. And we actually met with the owner and obtained a copy of the title deed.

Monday we will meet with our lawyer and begin the process of clearing the title and ensuring that it is in fact for sale and rightfully owned by the rightful owner. From there it's only ('only', ha!) a matter of having our lawyer (my beloved Frank) write up a contract and negotiations with the owner.

Before I leave for the States (in 10 days!) I expect to be able to make a down payment and sign a contract.

Susan and everyone else involved with this project have agreed: though the entire thing will take time, this part is the hardest. From here, things will snowball. I hope.

I am trying to upload pictures but siwezi. Na sijui kwanini.

Miss you all!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Congratulations Ashby! I am glad things are progressing for Visible Grace! We are praying for you!