Thursday, August 21, 2008

pressed for time, as per usual

um...I've never been this busy in Kenya before.

anyway, I only have about 4 minutes to update everyone, because Susan and I are supposed to meet someone somewhere in, like, 2 hours ago.

But I thought I'd make sure we're all on the same page here.

First of all, the beautiful, perfect land I first posted about? Too good to be true. It's not for sale. (I really don't understand WHY we are being shown land that is not for sale and it sort of makes me want to throw a temper tantrum, but anyway, that's for another day.)

So: we've been looking at a few other places. We've seen about 9 in the past few days. And even met with some of the land owners and even gotten as far as acknowledging that the land is a)actually for sale and b) within the right price range and c) owned by the person who says they are the rightful owner. Imagine that! (I now know how to say 'imagine that' in 3 languages.)

We are hoping to narrow down our choices in the next day or two. We are meeting with our lawyer again Monday (I think I'm in love with him, I'm serious) and will have a few title deeds, etc to show him. He will then begin the process of making sure the land is free and clear and actually for sale. From there we will negotiate.

In the meantime, Susan and I have made a bit of headway on things such as: opening a bank account here in Kenya, registering for electricity once the land is ours, and digging a well- which will prove to be a lengthy and expensive process, but we've AT LEAST figured out a budget and the proper, legal procedure.

So, in some ways I feel as if we've gotten NO WHERE but in other ways I feel as if we are making major headway. We're so, so close to breaking through on land-buying, and we've learned so many things- things which are now possible, because VISIBLE GRACE IS REGISTERED IN KENYA.

More later, my friends. Peace out!

2 comments:

queen traci said...

Hi friend! I am, so proud of you! Keep truckin your doing great, things are getting done and you are an inspiration!

Brian said...

Sorry to hear about the perfect land disaster. You'll get what you need when you need it. God is good that way.